Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I Am by De'Neene Bryan




I am De' Neene

I am nothing that this world thought I would ever be but everything it has thrown at me.

I am very happy but sadden with the anger that has chained me to my past.

I am strong yet weakened in my thoughts by the hurt that has left me emotionally scarred by its memories of yesterday’s dreams.

I am proud of what I have become through desperate hard work I put into myself but shamed with all of the blessed opportunities I just simply gave away.

I am all that my parents envisioned that I would be when they would one day have a daughter short of what was really given to me as a girl when that time came to them.

I am every honorable title a female carries through life if she is blessed to take center stage but stamped with every mistake that leaves me wondering if I am good enough for that next step.

I am here to win with more chances of failing.

I am a princess turned queen trapped in a witches’ body that can change without notice.

I am smart with a hanging image of dumbness staring at me in a world of mirrors that says you are less than because you are greater than it's expectations of you. 

But nevertheless of what is put before, behind or beneath me I am and I will always be more than an after thought. I am the beginning of what was never said. I am the last impressed thought of what could have been told. I am the middle sound that has always been heard.

I am not lost but I am found.


3 comments:

  1. U have brought alot of emotion to this piece, very heartfelt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like you're standing on a mountain looking down, watching your former self struggle to catch up with you. Keep going Deenie, let her no there is no room at the top. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is heartfelt, it is a two-way emotion. It's like a love/hate relationship.

    ReplyDelete